Saturday 6 November 2010

Don't be afraid to ask to take someone's picture ... you are flattering them.


Don't be afraid to ask to take someone's picture ... you are flattering them.


Informal portraits must be the most commonly taken image, but when you get one right it can renew your interest in the subject. In the 1990's I was working behind a bar and my regular lunchtime crowd were an interesting bunch, obsessed with talking philosophy, playing domino's and drinking beer. Every bar has it's central character, someone who is known by everyone and who treats the bar as if it were an extension of their own home. Lou King was our central character. He was full of local information, fun to talk to and always ready to listen ... the perfect gent.


On this day I thought that I would bring my old 35mm Olympus OM1, a tripod and a black sheet to work ... and see what I could snap. Lou jumped at the chance as I remember ... and here's the result.


God bless you Lou, you and Jim prevented me from going crazy :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment