Monday 29 November 2010

The Key to Candid Photography is Distance


The Key to Candid Photography is Distance.

I found a few years ago that my exisiting photographic portfolio held the key to a branch of photography that I had always been interested in, but had never achieved any photographs of any note. It was a snowy winter, much like this year, and I found myself at a loss for what to undertake photographically. I thought it might be a  valuable exercise to review my old photo's and see if there was anything I had missed.


As I cast my eye-glass over my negatives I spotted a number of candid photographs of a far better quality than I had ever thought I could take. The difference between these candid photographs and my older work was that these people appear completely natural and un-assaulted by a camera being pointed at them.


These pictures showed personal relationships, natural expressions and a life without the intrusion of the cameraman.


In all I think I found a community of candid photographic subjects (approx 30 in all). They are a wonder to me and bring home the dispassionate nature of the camera, choosing to capture anything [no matter how personal] that stands in front of its lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment